- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Anna Q. Nilsson, Betty Compson, Colleen Moore, and making her Photoplay cover debut, Mary Philbin.
- The August cover features a Compson portrait by Tempest Inman.
- And if that’s not enough to reel in the reader there’s also the tantalizing question “Is Bobbed Hair An Extravagance?”
- October cover girl Mary Philbin would go on to co-star with Lon Chaney in 1925’s The Phantom of the Opera.
Monthly Archives: June 2016
- Making their Photoplay cover debuts: Ramon Novarro and Leatrice Joy, on the May and June covers respectively.
- Both covers are by Tempest Inman.
- The June issue promised to tackle a controversial topic: “Why You Should and Why You Should Not Bob Your Hair.”
Some more Barbara LaMarr covers from 1924:
Picture-Play magazine, February 1924. Image from the always fascinating retrokimmer.com site.
Motion Picture magazine, May 1924. Here’s an image from the Little Hokum Rag blog.
And in case you were wondering: in the late 1930s Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler–a young European actress (and later, inventor) who was new to Hollywood–was renamed Hedy Lamarr, after Barbara LaMarr. It’s said Louis B. Mayer was the one who did the rechristening.