January 11, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Doris Kenyon, Mabel Normand, Lila Lee, Marguerite Clayton, Edith Story, Sylvia Breamer.
- 1918’s trendiest headwear is on display here!
- W. Haskell Coffin did the July (Kenyon), August (Norman) and October (Clayton) covers.
- The August issue extols slapstick queen Mabel Normand for reading Strindberg, Ibsen, and Shaw. You can read the article courtesy of the excellent Looking for Mabel Normand site, here’s the link:
Filed under 1910s, Doris Kenyon, Edith Storey, Lila Lee, Mabel Normand, Marguerite Clayton, Photoplay, Sylvia Breamer, W. Haskell Coffin
Tagged as Doris Kenyon, Mabel Normand, Photoplay, Silent Film, W. Haskell Coffin
January 4, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): June Elvidge, Alma Rubens, Virginia Pearson, Elsie Ferguson, Gail Kane, Olive Tell.
- All the covers except for February’s Rubens cover are by the great illustrator W. Haskell Coffin. The Feb. issue’s Table of Contents notes the Rubens Cover Design is “From a Pastel Portrait.”
- Also in the Feb. issue: “From Stenography to Stardom”, about the actress Virginia Valli; and a photo feature about “Alice Joyce and Her New Clothes.”
Filed under 1910s, Alma Rubens, Elsie Ferguson, Gail Kane, June Elvidge, Olive Tell, Photoplay, Virginia Pearson, W. Haskell Coffin
Tagged as Alma Rubens, Photoplay, Silent Film