- As you can see there’s a new cover format starting with Photoplay’s February 1935 issue.
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Loretta Young, Lillian Harvey, Jean Harlow, Irene Dunne.
- The Young cover (by the great illustrator Georgia Warren) uses color in quite an arresting way, don’t you think?
- Myrna Loy by Earl Christy.
- Despite the beautiful Loy portrait, the cover blurb is about Mary Pickford.
- This is the last close-up cover we’ll see for a while.
A real change of pace for the January 1935 cover!
And why not? Without question, Shirley Temple was Hollywood’s biggest star during the Depression years.
Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Dolores del Rio, Irene Dunne, Margaret Sullavan, Greta Garbo.