- As you can see there’s a new cover format starting with Photoplay’s February 1935 issue.
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Loretta Young, Lillian Harvey, Jean Harlow, Irene Dunne.
- The Young cover (by the great illustrator Georgia Warren) uses color in quite an arresting way, don’t you think?
Monthly Archives: March 2017
Photoplay Mar.-June 1935 A New Look
Filed under 1930s, Georgia Warren, Irene Dunne, Loretta Young
Photoplay Feb. 1935 – Myrna Loy
- Myrna Loy by Earl Christy.
- Despite the beautiful Loy portrait, the cover blurb is about Mary Pickford.
- This is the last close-up cover we’ll see for a while.
Photoplay Jan. 1935 – Hollywood’s Biggest Star
A real change of pace for the January 1935 cover!
And why not? Without question, Shirley Temple was Hollywood’s biggest star during the Depression years.
Filed under 1930s, Photoplay, Shirley Temple
Photoplay Sep.-Dec. 1934
Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Dolores del Rio, Irene Dunne, Margaret Sullavan, Greta Garbo.
Filed under 1930s, Greta Garbo, Irene Dunne, Norma Shearer, Photoplay