- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Ina Claire, Jean Harlow.
Category Archives: Earl Christy
- Cover girls are Clara Bow and Dorothy Mackaill.
- Earl Christy is still Photoplay’s cover illustrator.
- Mackaill retired from films in 1937, but returned onscreen a couple of decades later. In 1953 she was in “The Magic Lantern” episode of TV’s Studio One in Hollywood series. She also appeared in a couple of Hawaii Five-O shows in 1976 and 1980.
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): June Collyer, Olga Baclanova, Bessie Love and–of course–Greta Garbo.
- Bessie Love was riding high–she’d just appeared in MGM’s first two full-length MGM musicals of the sound era, The Broadway Melody of 1929 and The Hollywood Revue of 1929.
- The Broadway Melody of 1929 was the first sound picture to receive the Best Picture Oscar.
- Starting with July’s Bessie Love portrait, Earl Christy settles in as Photoplay’s regular cover artist.
- Garbo’s erstshile beau John Gilbert married actress Ina Claire.