- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Ina Claire, Jean Harlow.
Category Archives: Earl Christy
Photoplay Sep.-Dec. 1931
Filed under 1930s, Barbara Stanwyck, Earl Christy, Ina Claire, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, Photoplay
Photoplay Jan.-Feb. 1931
- Cover girls are Clara Bow and Dorothy Mackaill.
- Earl Christy is still Photoplay’s cover illustrator.
- Mackaill retired from films in 1937, but returned onscreen a couple of decades later. In 1953 she was in “The Magic Lantern” episode of TV’s Studio One in Hollywood series. She also appeared in a couple of Hawaii Five-O shows in 1976 and 1980.
Filed under 1930s, Clara Bow, Dorothy Mackaill, Earl Christy, Photoplay
Photoplay Sep.-Dec. 1929
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Nancy Carroll, Anita Page, Janet Gaynor, Norma Talmadge.
- The supremely talented and prolific illustrator Earl Christy (1883-1961) did all the covers here.
Filed under 1920s, Anita Page, Earl Christy, Janet Gaynor, Nancy Carroll, Norma Talmadge, Photoplay
Photoplay May-June 1929
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): June Collyer, Olga Baclanova, Bessie Love and–of course–Greta Garbo.
- Bessie Love was riding high–she’d just appeared in MGM’s first two full-length MGM musicals of the sound era, The Broadway Melody of 1929 and The Hollywood Revue of 1929.
- The Broadway Melody of 1929 was the first sound picture to receive the Best Picture Oscar.
- Starting with July’s Bessie Love portrait, Earl Christy settles in as Photoplay’s regular cover artist.
- Garbo’s erstshile beau John Gilbert married actress Ina Claire.
Filed under 1920s, Bessie Love, Earl Christy, Greta Garbo, June Collyer, Olga Baclanova