- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): June Collyer, Olga Baclanova, Bessie Love and–of course–Greta Garbo.
- Bessie Love was riding high–she’d just appeared in MGM’s first two full-length MGM musicals of the sound era, The Broadway Melody of 1929 and The Hollywood Revue of 1929.
- The Broadway Melody of 1929 was the first sound picture to receive the Best Picture Oscar.
- Starting with July’s Bessie Love portrait, Earl Christy settles in as Photoplay’s regular cover artist.
- Garbo’s erstshile beau John Gilbert married actress Ina Claire.
Category Archives: Bessie Love
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Betty Bronson, Florence Vidor, Bessie Love, May Allison.
- Betty Bronson was a dancer who nabbed the coveted film role of Peter Pan.
- April cover girl May Allison would marry Photoplay editor/publisher James T. Quirk in 1926. She’d graced the November 1923 cover.