- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Ina Claire, Jean Harlow.
Monthly Archives: December 2016
Photoplay Sep.-Dec. 1931
Filed under 1930s, Barbara Stanwyck, Earl Christy, Ina Claire, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, Photoplay
Photoplay May-Aug. 1931
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Marlene Dietrich–making her Photoplay cover debut–plus Dorothy Jordan, Claudette Colbert, and Ann Harding.
Filed under 1930s, Ann Harding, Claudette Colbert, Dorothy Jordan, Marlene Dietrich, Photoplay
Photoplay Mar.-Apr. 1931 Double Exposure
- Kid sister Joan graced Photoplay’s September cover; here in March it’s Constance Bennett’s turn.
- Charles Farrell and Janet Gaynor maintain the double exposure theme on April’s cover.
- Farrell and Gaynor were the hottest team in movies and appeared together in ten films, including 7th Heaven.
- Farrell left show business in 1934, but returned to it in the 1950s as My Little Margie’s Vern Albright.
Filed under 1930s, Charles Farrell,, Constance Bennett, Janet Gaynor, Photoplay
Photoplay Jan.-Feb. 1931
- Cover girls are Clara Bow and Dorothy Mackaill.
- Earl Christy is still Photoplay’s cover illustrator.
- Mackaill retired from films in 1937, but returned onscreen a couple of decades later. In 1953 she was in “The Magic Lantern” episode of TV’s Studio One in Hollywood series. She also appeared in a couple of Hawaii Five-O shows in 1976 and 1980.
Filed under 1930s, Clara Bow, Dorothy Mackaill, Earl Christy, Photoplay