- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Ina Claire, Jean Harlow.
Monthly Archives: December 2016
- Kid sister Joan graced Photoplay’s September cover; here in March it’s Constance Bennett’s turn.
- Charles Farrell and Janet Gaynor maintain the double exposure theme on April’s cover.
- Farrell and Gaynor were the hottest team in movies and appeared together in ten films, including 7th Heaven.
- Farrell left show business in 1934, but returned to it in the 1950s as My Little Margie’s Vern Albright.
- Cover girls are Clara Bow and Dorothy Mackaill.
- Earl Christy is still Photoplay’s cover illustrator.
- Mackaill retired from films in 1937, but returned onscreen a couple of decades later. In 1953 she was in “The Magic Lantern” episode of TV’s Studio One in Hollywood series. She also appeared in a couple of Hawaii Five-O shows in 1976 and 1980.