- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Greta Garbo, Joan Bennett, Claudette Colbert (almost unrecognizable here if you ask me), and Norma Shearer.
Monthly Archives: January 2017
- Before embarking on 1933’s Photoplay covers, let’s take brief detour and gaze upon the October 1932 issue of a Photoplay rival, Silver Screen.
- Yes, it’s the Blonde Venus herself–the one and only Dietrich–as depicted by artist John Clarke. Love those brows!
- Garbo’s back and Gable’s got her–on January’s cover. The two were starring onscreen in Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise.
- The other cover subjects (in order of appearance): Mary Astor, Miriam Hopkins, and Norma Shearer.
- Gable got around: in addition to Garbo, he’d appeared with Shearer in 1931’s A Free Soul and would co-star with Astor in Red Dust, released later in 1932.