- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Greta Garbo, Joan Bennett, Claudette Colbert (almost unrecognizable here if you ask me), and Norma Shearer.
Monthly Archives: January 2017
Photoplay Jan.-Apr. 1933
Filed under 1930s, Claudette Colbert, Greta Garbo, Joan Bennett, Norma Shearer, Photoplay
Marlene Dietrich and Silver Screen – Oct. 1932
- Before embarking on 1933’s Photoplay covers, let’s take brief detour and gaze upon the October 1932 issue of a Photoplay rival, Silver Screen.
- Yes, it’s the Blonde Venus herself–the one and only Dietrich–as depicted by artist John Clarke. Love those brows!
Filed under 1930s, John Clarke, Marlene Dietrich, Silver Screen
Photoplay Sep.-Dec. 1932
- Cover girls and boy (l.-r., in order of appearance): Gary Cooper and Tallulah Bankhead, Irene Dunne, Joan Crawford, Janet Gaynor.
- Cooper and Bankhead were starring in 1932’s Devil and the Deep. Also appearing in the film were Cary Grant and Charles Laughton–not too shabby!
Filed under 1930s, Gary Cooper, Irene Dunne, Janet Gaynor, Joan Crawford, Tallulah Bankhead
Photoplay May-Aug. 1932
Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Sidney Fox, Madge Evans, the ever-fashionable Kay Francis, and the star of the 1932 film Red Headed Woman, Jean Harlow–who was probably the most famous platinum blonde of the day.;)
Filed under 1930s, Jean Harlow, Kay Francis, Madge Evans, Photoplay, Sidney Fox
Photoplay Jan.-Apr. 1932
- Garbo’s back and Gable’s got her–on January’s cover. The two were starring onscreen in Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise.
- Garbo, Gable and the other cover subjects (in order of appearance): Mary Astor, Miriam Hopkins, and Norma Shearer.
- Gable got around: in addition to Garbo, he’d appeared with Shearer in 1931’s A Free Soul and would co-star with Astor in Red Dust, released later in 1932.
Filed under 1930s, Clark Gable, Greta Garbo, Mary Astor, Miriam Hopkins, Norma Shearer, Photoplay