- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): June Collyer, Olga Baclanova, Bessie Love and–of course–Greta Garbo.
- Bessie Love was riding high–she’d just appeared in MGM’s first two full-length MGM musicals of the sound era, The Broadway Melody of 1929 and The Hollywood Revue of 1929.
- The Broadway Melody of 1929 was the first sound picture to receive the Best Picture Oscar.
- Starting with July’s Bessie Love portrait, Earl Christy settles in as Photoplay’s regular cover artist.
- Garbo’s erstshile beau John Gilbert married actress Ina Claire.
Monthly Archives: October 2016
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): blondes Greta Garbo, Marion Davies, Ruth Taylor–and brunette Billie Dove.
- Garbo and John Gilbert (who “Writes His Own Story” in the June issue) had just appeared together in “Love”, a 1927 film adaptation of Anna Karenina. They’d next co-star in “A Woman of Affairs,” released in late 1928.