- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): May Allison, Dolores Costello, Jetta Goudal and–did you recognize December’s cover girl? I didn’t. It’s none other than Joan Crawford.
- All these actresses sport the latest in fashionable hats–mostly cloches, it seems–except for Joan, who bucks the trend by going sans chapeau.
Category Archives: May Allison
Photoplay Sep.-Dec. 1927
Filed under 1920s, Dolores Costello, Jetta Goudal, Joan Crawford, May Allison
Photoplay Jan.-Apr. 1925
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Betty Bronson, Florence Vidor, Bessie Love, May Allison.
- Betty Bronson was a dancer who nabbed the coveted film role of Peter Pan.
- April cover girl May Allison would marry Photoplay editor/publisher James T. Quirk in 1926. She’d graced the November 1923 cover.
Filed under 1920s, Bessie Love, Betty Bronson, Florence Vidor, May Allison, Photoplay
Photoplay Oct.-Dec. 1923
- Cover girls (in order of appearance): Alla Nazimova, May Allison, Constance Talmadge.
- The Nazimova cover really stands out, doesn’t it? No flowers, no hat, no sunny yellow-orange background.
- As that cover suggests, Nazimova was just as singular an actress. She was theatrically-trained and had appeared in Ibsen and Chekhov on Broadway before moving over to the silver screen. Here she is with Valentino in a 1921 screen adaptation of Camille. Photo from the great site allanazimova.com
Filed under 1920s, Alla Nazimova, Constance Talmadge, May Allison, Photoplay