- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Olive Borden, Louise Brooks (as if you couldn’t already tell), Arlette Marchal, and Lois Wilson.
- Brooks of course would be “rediscovered” in the last quarter of the 20th century. More on her in a later post.
- Lois Wilson was Daisy Buchanan in the silent film version of The Great Gatsby in late 1926, with actor Neil Hamilton portraying Nick Carraway. Yes, the same Neil Hamilton who later appeared as Commissioner Gordon in the famous 196os Batman TV series!
- The prolific Hamilton was also in 1927’s The Joy Girl co-starring with January cover subject Olive Borden.
Category Archives: Lois Wilson
Photoplay Jan.-Apr. 1927
Filed under 1920s, Arlette Marchal, Lois Wilson, Louise Brooks, Neil Hamilton, Olive Borden, Photoplay
Photoplay Nov.-Dec. 1924
- Cover subjects: mega-star Jackie Coogan (November) and prolific actress Lois Wilson (December).Both Coogan and Wilson had lengthy careers that lasted well past the silent film era.
- Coogan of course acted into the 1960s as Uncle Fester in The Addams Family. Not to mention he was the impetus for Coogan’s Law, legislation regarding children working in the movies.
- In addition to acting in both silent and sound films Wilson wrote and produced. She also appeared on Broadway and worked in television.
Filed under 1920s, Jackie Coogan, Lois Wilson
Photoplay May-Sep. 1923
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Lois Wilson, May McAvoy, Pauline Garon, Marion Davies, Eleanor Boardman.
- Boy, hats sure were de rigueur back then, weren’t they? 🙂
- January cover girl Lois Wilson would later star as Daisy in the first known screen adaptation of The Great Gatsby (1926).
- Thanks to Citizen Kane, today April cover girl Marion Davies is known primarily for her relationship with William Randolph Hearst. Her career warrants re-examination; she appeared in many silent films and was especially noted for her comedic roles.
- The May issue features an article by April cover girl Barbara LaMarr on “Why I Adopted a Baby.”
- The June issue features “A Star in Search of Her Soul” about the very successful and famous serial queen Pearl White.
Filed under 1920s, Eleanor Boardman, Lois Wilson, Marion Davies, May McAvoy, Pauline Garon, Photoplay