December 5, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls are Clara Bow and Dorothy Mackaill.
- Earl Christy is still Photoplay’s cover illustrator.
- Mackaill retired from films in 1937, but returned onscreen a couple of decades later. In 1953 she was in “The Magic Lantern” episode of TV’s Studio One in Hollywood series. She also appeared in a couple of Hawaii Five-O shows in 1976 and 1980.
August 15, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance:) Dorothy Mackaill, Doris Kenyon, Marion Davies, Alice Joyce.
- As you can see, Photoplay’s cover now includes the head and torso of the subject. Previously the usual cover shot had been a close-up of the face. We’ll see how long the new look lasts.