- Cover boy and girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Alan Ladd, Elizabeth Teylor, Shirley Temple, June Allyson.
- Third time’s the charm? She’d already graced the January and June covers so the October issue marked Liz’s third Photoplay cover in 1950!
- Cover girls and boy (l.-r., in order of appearance): some movie actress named Elizabeth Taylor; Esther Williams; Jane Wyman and Jimmy Stewart; Janet Leigh.
- With the dawn of 1950 Photoplay turned to photographs for the covers. Prior to 1950 photos had been used sparingly on the covers.
- Photoplay’s March issue was the “Gold Medal Awards issue.” According to the wonderful blog Jimmy Stewart On the Air, “the Photoplay Awards Dinner honoring the 1949 Gold Medal Award winners was broadcast by ABC on February 13, 1950.” Read more about it at http://www.jimmystewartontheair.com/photoplay-awards-dinner/
Very unusual cover for Photoplay! Not that I’m complaining. 🙂
Ladd was very popular, a huge star. In the following year he’d star in The Great Gatsby.