- Cover girls: Carole Lombard and Shirley Temple.
- Cover artist: James Montgomery Flagg.
- Cover girls (l.-r.,in order of appearance): Claudette Colbert, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Norma Shearer.
- James Montgomery Flagg is the cover artist. You’ve undoubtedly seen his work before 😉
- Cover subjects: May – Myrna Loy (May); June – Dick Powell and Marion Davies.
- Below: Clarence Sinclair Bull’s famous photo of Loy.
- Coming up next: another cover format change for Photoplay.
Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Norma Shearer, Ginger Rogers, Shirley Temple, Joan Crawford.
Cover girls: Carole Lombard (making her Photoplay cover debut) and Loretta Young.
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Joan Bennett, Kay Francis, Ann Harding, Joan Crawford.
- The intriguing cover blurbs: Mae West Talks About Her Marriage; Is Hepburn Killing Her Career?; and Why Male Stars Marry Plain Girls.
- As you can see there’s a new cover format starting with Photoplay’s February 1935 issue.
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Loretta Young, Lillian Harvey, Jean Harlow, Irene Dunne.
- The Young cover (by the great illustrator Georgia Warren) uses color in quite an arresting way, don’t you think?
- Myrna Loy by Earl Christy.
- Despite the beautiful Loy portrait, the cover blurb is about Mary Pickford.
- This is the last close-up cover we’ll see for a while.
Filed under 1930s, Myrna Loy
A real change of pace for the January 1935 cover!
And why not? Without question, Shirley Temple was Hollywood’s biggest star during the Depression years.
Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Dolores del Rio, Irene Dunne, Margaret Sullavan, Greta Garbo.