April 11, 2016 · 11:00 am
- The June and July covers break with tradition. First, the June cover has a mirror shot instead of the standard portrait shot.
- The June issue contains a profile on “The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful” by Adela Rogers St. Johns. The too beautiful girl in question? She’s not on the cover (that’s Mabel Ballin admiring herself) but it’s Barbara LaMarr, who had a banner year in 1922 with starring roles in Arabian Love, Domestic Relations, The Prisoner of Zenda and Trifling Women.
- And the July issue has an even more unusual cover–for the first time since the May 1916 issue ( D.W. Griffith), a man is spotlighted on Photoplay’s cover! It’s none other than Rudolph Valentino, in the famous portrait by Tempest Inman.
Filed under 1920s, Barbara LaMarr, Mabel Ballin, Photoplay, Rudolph Valentino, Tempest Inman
Tagged as Barbara LaMarr, Mabel Ballin, Photoplay, Rudolph Valentino, Silent Film, Tempest Inman
March 28, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls are Dorothy Gish and Betty Compson.
- Both covers are by artist J. Knowles Hare. The covers sure are similar in color and composition, aren’t they? Botticelli rules.
March 21, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Corinne Griffith, Lila Lee, Olga Petrova.
- Love for three oranges? The cover layout that started with the December 1921 issue continues here, with the title and text at the bottom set on orange backgrounds.
- The January Griffith cover artist: Rolf Armstrong.
Filed under 1920s, Corinne Griffith, Lila Lee, Olga Petrova, Photoplay, Rolf Armstrong
Tagged as Corinne Griffith, Lila Lee, Olga Petrova, Photoplay, Rolf Armstrong, Silent Film
February 1, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Marjorie Rambeau, Billie Burke, Constance Talmadge, Dorothy Phillips.
- Per the May issue’s table of contents, the cover image of a periwigged Billie Burke is “From the Oil Painting by Alfred Cheney Johnston.”
Filed under 1910s, Alfred Cheney Johnston, Billie Burke, Constance Talmadge, Dorothy Phillips, Marjorie Rambeau, Photoplay
Tagged as Alfred Cheney Johnston, Billie Burke, Constance Talmadge, Dorothy Phillips, Marjorie Rambeau, Photoplay, Silent Film
January 11, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): Doris Kenyon, Mabel Normand, Lila Lee, Marguerite Clayton, Edith Story, Sylvia Breamer.
- 1918’s trendiest headwear is on display here!
- W. Haskell Coffin did the July (Kenyon), August (Norman) and October (Clayton) covers.
- The August issue extols slapstick queen Mabel Normand for reading Strindberg, Ibsen, and Shaw. You can read the article courtesy of the excellent Looking for Mabel Normand site, here’s the link:
Filed under 1910s, Doris Kenyon, Edith Storey, Lila Lee, Mabel Normand, Marguerite Clayton, Photoplay, Sylvia Breamer, W. Haskell Coffin
Tagged as Doris Kenyon, Mabel Normand, Photoplay, Silent Film, W. Haskell Coffin
January 4, 2016 · 11:00 am
- Cover girls (l.-r., in order of appearance): June Elvidge, Alma Rubens, Virginia Pearson, Elsie Ferguson, Gail Kane, Olive Tell.
- All the covers except for February’s Rubens cover are by the great illustrator W. Haskell Coffin. The Feb. issue’s Table of Contents notes the Rubens Cover Design is “From a Pastel Portrait.”
- Also in the Feb. issue: “From Stenography to Stardom”, about the actress Virginia Valli; and a photo feature about “Alice Joyce and Her New Clothes.”
Filed under 1910s, Alma Rubens, Elsie Ferguson, Gail Kane, June Elvidge, Olive Tell, Photoplay, Virginia Pearson, W. Haskell Coffin
Tagged as Alma Rubens, Photoplay, Silent Film
November 16, 2015 · 12:51 pm
Hi everyone. I love classic cinema and theatre ephemera such as magazines, posters, stills, etc. I plan on setting up a site about 20th century movie and theatre magazines, but until it’s up and running you may want to visit my Pinterest board. Lots of movie and stage memorabilia there!
To start with, here’s a favorite Pin of mine: a Photoplay cover of opera star Geraldine Farrar, who starred in Cecil B. DeMille’s silent film version of Carmen.